Current research efforts focus on improving the safety and quality of cheese. Our research interests include understanding the microbial ecology of traditional cheeses and their manufacturing environments, the role of food and microbes in human health, and improving the quality and safety of dairy foods with particular interest in the use of protective and probiotic bacteria for the control of pathogens in the production of raw milk cheese.
- Jordan, K., S. Forsythe, and D.J. D’Amico. Pathogens in Milk and Milk Products. In Standard Methods for the Examination of Dairy Products. 18th ed. Eds Wehr, H.M., J. Kornacki, and E. Ryser. American Public Health Association. Under review.
- Brown, S.R.B., E. C. Forauer‚ and D. J. D'Amico*. 2018. Effect of modified atmosphere packaging on the growth of spoilage microorganisms and Listeria monocytogeneson fresh cheese. Journal of Dairy Science. 101:7768-7779. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-14217
- Brown, S.R.B., Kozak, S.M., and D. J. D’Amico*. 2018. Applications of Edible Coatings Formulated with Antimicrobials Inhibit Listeria monocytogenesGrowth on Queso Fresco. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. doi:10.3389/fsufs.2018.00001
- Kozak, S.M., Y. Bobak, and D.J. D’Amico. Efficacy of antimicrobials applied individually and in combination for controlling Listeria monocytogenes as surface contaminants on Queso Fresco. Journal of Food Protection. 81(1):46-53.
- Kozak, S.M., Y. Bobak, and D.J. D’Amico*. 2018. Control of Listeria monocytogenesin whole milk using antimicrobials applied individually and in combination. Journal of Dairy Science. 101:1–12. doi:10.3168/jds.2017-13648.
- Barnes, S. R., N.C. Millán-Borrero, J.C. Carbonella, A.J.P. Micheletti and D.J. D’Amico. 2017. Acidification of model cheese brines to control Listeria monocytogenes. Journal of Food Protection. 81(1):79-83.
- Kozak, S.M., K.M. Margison, and D.J. D’Amico. 2017. Synergistic antimicrobial combinations inhibit and inactivate Listeria monocytogenes in neutral and acidic broth systems. Journal of Food Protection. 80:1266-1272.
- D’Amico. D.J. 2017. Recommendations and Outcomes from the First Artisan Cheese Food Safety Forum. Food Protection Trends. 37:332–339
- D'Amico, D.J., and C.W. Donnelly. 2017. Growth and Survival of Microbial Pathogens in Cheese. In Cheese: Chemistry, Physics & Microbiology. 4th Edition. Academic Press. ISBN: 9780124170124
- Trmčić , A., R. Ralyea , L. Meunier-Goddik , C. Donnelly, K. Glass, D. D’Amico, E. Meredith, M. Kehler, N. Tranchina, C. McCue, M. Wiedmann. 2016. Consensus categorization of cheese based on water activity and pH – a rational approach to systemizing cheese diversity. Journal of Dairy Science 100:841–847
- Sauders, B.D., and D.J. D’Amico. 2016. Listeria monocytogenes cross-contamination of cheese: risk throughout the food supply chain. Epidemiology and Infection, 144:2693-2697. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0950268816001503
- D'Amico, D. 2016. Contributions In The Oxford Companion to Cheese: Codex Alimentarious; General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and the World Trade Organization; Hygiene; Salmonella; Standards of Identity; United States Department of Agriculture; and Equivalence. Oxford University Press. New York, NY. ISBN: 9780199330881
- D'Amico, Dennis. 2016. Artisan Cheese Food Safety Forum: 2015 Conference Summary. Food Protection Trends. May/June: 226-228.
- American Cheese Society. 2017. Best Practices Guide for Cheesemakers. Available at: http://www.cheesesociety.org/events-education/best-practices-guide-for-cheesemakers/
- Microbes Make the Cheese. 2015. Report on an American Academy of Microbiology Colloquium held in Washington, DC, in June 2014. Ed. Jeffrey Fox. American Academy of Microbiology. Washington, DC.
- Nyarko, E., D.J. D'Amico, B. Koeritzer, P. Mach, W. Xia and C.W. Donnelly. 2014. Delivery of selective agents via time-delayed release tablets improves recovery of Listeria monocytogenes injured by acid and nitrite. Journal of Food Protection. 77: 772-780.
- D`Amico, D.J. M.J. Druart and C.W. Donnelly. 2014. Comparing the Behavior of Multi-Drug Resistant and Pan-susceptible Salmonella During the Production and Aging of a Gouda Cheese Manufactured from Raw Milk.. Journal of Food Protection 77: 903-913.
- D'Amico, Dennis. 2014. Microbiological Quality and Safety Issues in Cheesemaking. In Cheese and Microbes (pp. 251–309 (59)). Eds. C. Donnelly. American Society for Microbiology.
- D’Amico, Dennis. 2014. Adventitious Microbes Can Affect the Safety and Quality of Cheese. Microbe. 9(3).
- D’Amico, Dennis. 2014. Microbiological Quality and Safety Issues in Cheesemaking. Microbiol Spectrum 2(1). doi:10.1128/microbiolspec. CM-0011-2012.